Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why Didn't I Get Them Anything?

I don’t believe that there is such a thing as a “free gift” for two main reasons. The first being the same as the others that economically at some point that gift was paid for. The other reason, and the one I will elaborate one because the others spoke enough about the monetary aspects, is the debt that is inherently earned with the exchange of said gifts. Although Chani would argue that she gives gifts without expecting compensation that does not mean that the receiver does not possess a sense of debt to the giver. When I receive a gift I feel that if I cannot repay the kindness with a gift as well that I must repay them in some other way. Either way, I feel a need to repay the gift, or I will be forever in debited to them. Although I do not keep track of the “score”, if you will, I do keep loose track of which I should be giving gifts to in relation to their gift giving activity.
One point that seems relevant to human interaction is the idea that gifts are exchanged in a new relationship as a way to progress and enhance the relationship. I find myself doing the same type of behaviors with new friends. I will lend them movies, or buy them drinks because in a subconscious way I am saying I want to share with them something that I enjoy, and would like them to do the same, which is the usual reaction to such acts. Although I would not consider this a debt per say I would consider it an act that is likely to meet with the same type of gesture.
So even if one does not expect payment for a gift the receiver may feel the need to repay anyways thus, a gift is never truly free.

No comments: