Wednesday, February 13, 2008

On the Fence

Dealing with the subject of losing languages is a very difficult subject for me to really have an opinion about. For instance, the “threat” of globalization doesn’t seem like that much of a threat to me. It opens the world up to vast communication where all cultures can easily communicate. However, I do see the downside to the loss of a language as well. My main concern for losing languages is the fact that with the loss of these languages we lose historical knowledge that was written in languages now dead (i.e. Egyptian).
This being said, I believe it is a great idea to record languages that are on the way to extinction for records, and in case written documents exist. Other than that though, I can’t say I am really completely for or against the preservation of spoken languages. I sit on the fence with this subject and choose not to take one side or the other.

No comments: