Monday, February 4, 2008

All right...I'll be the first post

In the article, Miner looks at the Nacirema as being obsessed with their body. Today, the Nacirema are still obsessed with their body except perhaps even more. People see thousands of ads everyday. Most of these ads point out deficiencies in people’s appearance. I think that Capitalism has gotten more predatory over the last 50 years. People’s obsession with their body has increased too. Think about how many ads pointing out your deficiencies that you see everyday: ads telling you that you smell bad, that you’re too fat, that you’re ugly, etc. I’m a girl and I get spam email a few times a week telling me that I’d be happier with a bigger penis.

I think that a lot of people buy into the deficiencies too. I’m sure that I buy into it to an extent too. I think that it’s impossible not to! So yes, I think that we’re the same culture as the Nacirema of 50 years ago, except we’re even more obsessed?

1 comment:

kendell_johnstone said...

I will have to agree with Kate, we are even more obssessed now then we were back 50 years ago. Then, for most people, their looks were what they cared about the most. Now, it's all some people can think about, along with when those who are trying to ignore it get it shoved in their faces constantly.