Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gift or Bribe?

I think there is definitley such thing as a free gift.  At times I think people's motives are what interfere with this idea or concept.  I know for a fact that when my parents give me gifts they do not expect anything back in return.  They are doing something nice for a loved one.  I think at times people give others things because they want something in return.  I am guilty of this and I am sure that almost everyone esle is too.  I do not know if I would consider that as being a form of a gift.  If I were to give something to someone and want a favor or something back in return I would view it as some sort of bribe or agreement.
To me gifts have meanings.  You want to give something to someone out of love, pure friendship or as a reward.  If there is any other type of motive behind it I do not know how anyone can call it a gift because it simply is not.

1 comment:

Chani said...

I totally agree. It's people's motives that make a gift free or not. There can be free gifts; ie the definition of a gift is "something given voluntarily without payment in return".